Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

St Lawrence South Hinksey

 

Some of you may have noticed I have been to St Lawrence South Hinksey before during the lockdown we had last year but like with many churches I found it locked. I emailed the churchwarden who was helpful giving be a ladies phone number to contact on the day of my visit. I suggest you click on the link above if you want to read the history and see around the outside.

The daffodils were out along the path when I got there, though this was taken as I was leaving , the guy you see came in as I was going

You cannot help taking photos of daffodils

When I walked inside I looked down the nave and was overjoyed to see a rood loft

From the back the church looked simple and uncluttered

The organ was tucked into the belltower

 
 The rood loft which is restored

The rood cross

 
 In the chancel looking at the altar and east window

The altar with is covering behind you can see the church banner

 
 Looking back out the chancel arch

And from the arch to the nave

Either side you find the lectern and the pulpit

 Behind the pulpit a small door leads to the stares taking you to the rood loft

I did go up and here are a few shots showing what you see. The stares are narrow, steep and you can hit your head on top of the door if you are not careful. The loft is narrow and you can see the nave and chancel through a window

The nave from the pulpit

 
some of the memorials around the church

A shelf holds the nativity scene with out the figures below one of the old bells

 
 The old bell under the shelf in the nave

Couple of the floor tombs you can read the inscription on

Probably a Victorian picture of the sermon on the mount

The beautiful stained glass you can see in the church

I will leave you with this shot of the font with the stained glass reflecting on it

Till next time I wish you all a peaceful week

 Joining Mosaic Monday

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar